Thursday, June 20, 2013

How big is your family?

I come from quite a small family; I have my mum and dad, one brother, two aunts, one uncle, one cousin and one grandma. 

But I was realising today how lucky I am. I am a Christian, and that means that I am blessed with an extended family. Not just with my present church family, but also with members from my previous churches. The blessing that you receive from God through your church family does not necessarily end when you move on from that church. I have lost count of the number of Christians I include in my own "family", and the love that I feel, the support as I'm making decisions, fighting battles etc. 

Currently, I am looking at quite a big career change, I'm keeping details vague at the moment until things are a little more set in stone. But I found out today that the church that I grew up in is supporting me, praying for me, that I am still part of that family. This is the church that has helped me to this point, from becoming a Christian, helping me through some tough times whilst I was growing up, praying for me as I left for University, and through-out my university years, then supporting my decision and feeling to move on to a different church, with their blessing. And now, four years after moving on, they are still involved in my life, praying and supporting. 

This has all gone a little waffle-y, it made sense in the car home. But I guess what I'm trying to say, is that, no matter how large of small, normal or dysfunctional, your family is, you can always find a family in Christ, a group of people that God has lined up for you. And yes, there will be some "family" members that you never see, that you get together with for Christmas, or that you vaguely follow on Facebook or Twitter, (I do follow two of my family on twitter, one non-immediate family member). But accept the blessings that God wants to pour out through your family in Christ, because, more often than not, it will exceed your expectations, but meet your needs, as I mentioned in the last post. 

That's it now, I think.

Take care,

God bless,

Ruth x

No comments: