Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Purple Box

I have this purple box. It's a box of memories I think it's sometimes called. It's where I put objects and pieces of paper that means something to me but to most people is worthless junk.

I was going through it recently looking for things I can put on my wall and realising how much stuff I have in there. I have a card and a necklace from an old friend, something I keep thinking I should get rid of, but I'm not sure how. I have an old key, that apparently was for a side gate at a friends old house, but became symbolic as a key to something else. I have a programme and tickets from when I went to watch a friend race cars. I have the ticket from the play I went to see whilst my brother was being rushed to hospital, but that I still went to because "life goes on". I have the thank you cards and passes from my gap year. The tickets from going to see one of my favourite, but little know bands play. I have the tickets from when I went on the London Eye, the Tube, the Scottish Tube. I have a purple heart badge that I was given by the youth at the kids club I did at home, one Valentines day. The peg that was randomly put on my by one of the CU during the baptism service at my church at uni. The badges that I got given during primary school for various achievements also sit in that box.

It's a box of memories. Of funny times, sad times, happy times. But there are also little bits of encouragement, letters written, those pieces of paper where you write something about the person on them, the random things that make me smile and laugh because of what's linked to them.

I don't really know the point of this, I just felt like writing it. Maybe one day someone will look through that box, a relative, someone who knew me, after I've gone, and wonder the significance of an Eeyore keyring. Will it just be a piece of metal, a pretty thing? Or will they know? Who knows?

Clare xxx

No comments: